ITS ALL ABOUT ART

Almost daily painter, traveler and art lover
It's all about art, what else is there?
@lisahutart on instagram

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Day 124 Long's Inspiration

Tonight PAAC met and painted at Inspiration Point in Lakewood. The weather was great and I did 2 pastels before the sun set. Painting Long's Peak sent me down memory lane.
I climbed Long's once, many years ago. I am proud that I got to the summit ... since I probably would never try it again. The Park Service suggests you start at 3 am to complete the 10-15 hour round trip hike before afternoon lightening storms roll in. I remember we ran out of water way sooner than we should have and my hiking buddies stopping to "take pictures" when I apparently sounded like I was going to die of overexertion. From the National Park Service Website:

At 14,259 feet, Longs Peak towers above all other summits in Rocky Mountain National Park. The flat-topped monarch is seen from almost anywhere in the park. Different angles show the great mountain's unique profiles. Changing weather reflects Longs Peak's many moods. In the summertime, when conditions allow, thousands climb to Longs' summit via the Keyhole Route. The Keyhole Route is not a hike. It is a climb that crosses enormous sheer vertical rock faces, often with falling rocks, requiring scrambling, where an unroped fall would likely be fatal. The route has narrow ledges, loose rock, and steep cliffs.
If you are in the mood for a 15 mile hike this summer check it out. Me? Completely satisfied to paint it instead of climbing to the top.

Long's Inspiration
9x12 pastel
sold