ITS ALL ABOUT ART

Almost daily painter, traveler and art lover
It's all about art, what else is there?
@lisahutart on instagram

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Day 188 Bison Blobs

I painted at Wind Cave National Park today in South Dakota. Lots of wonderful sky and grasslands - and tons of buffalo. I mean bison. A small girl who had just been through a ranger talk told me they are called Bison, NOT buffalo. Tomato ... tomato. Apparently, it's interchangeable.

There was a very cute calf and mom right in front of me but they moved off before I even got done with the sky. I took lots of photos to paint from later though. One group of visitors parked next to me were so concerned for one of the babies lying flat on the ground, sleeping perchance? They were convinced he was dead. Convinced.

As the herd moved off, the mom finally nudged the baby, he popped up and joined the rest. The crowd burst into high fives and yee haws. I asked a ranger about it and she rolled her eyes and said the rangers are constantly flagged down by well meaning tourists worried that a calf is dead. She said they are always just sleeping. She had stopped to tell me to dash for the car in case they moved toward me. Yep, already knew that.

While I painted, Ed rode 30 miles through the park to our camp spot in Custer State Park. Bison are unfazed by the numerous cars that drive by, but a bicycle? One bull grunted at him as he was going by, Ed grunted back and the dang bull gave him a few charging steps. Suddenly Ed was pedaling much faster and text me later that he would not be riding back down highway 87 to our meeting spot. Fun day all around.

Bison Blobs
8x10 oil


Painting close to the car for a reason
Open range means don't be stupid and get too close