ITS ALL ABOUT ART

Almost daily painter, traveler and art lover
It's all about art, what else is there?
@lisahutart on instagram

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Day 254 Ghost Ranch View

I just got back from a short painting trip to Georgia O'keeffe country. I stayed in Abiquiu, NM within walking distance of Georgia O'Keeffe's house in a little casita and visited Ghost Ranch. So, I was painting in front of the visitor center, when this bug appeared inches from my hand. I let out a little (maybe medium sized?) scream then flicked him off the easel with my roll of paper towels.

I looked behind me to a crowd of people staring at me with concern. Like a couple dozen ... because a tour was about to start. whoops. I sheepishly said "it was a bug, it's OK, just a bug ..."
I glance back over my shoulder after a few minutes and feel the judgement.
I defensively blurted out "It was a really, really big bug." That bug was big enough to carry my canvas off to his bug-house for decoration.
They still looked at me like "seriously?"
I mumble to myself about how big it was and that it startled me ...
I know, I'm in New Mexico, I'm OUTSIDE - there are bugs. I think I've screamed over a salamander in South Carolina, an inchworm in Montana, a curious moose in Colorado and now this monstrous thing crawling across my paintbox in New Mexico. If you think painting plein air is easy ... it ain't!


Imagine my surprise as I reach down for a touch more orange on my brush

Didn't I tell you he was monstrous? This is a regular roll of paper towels.
Love nature - hate bugs.
I'm working on not screaming when I get startled.