ITS ALL ABOUT ART

Almost daily painter, traveler and art lover
It's all about art, what else is there?
@lisahutart on instagram

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Day 255 The Casita 87510

This is the home I stayed in at Abiquiu, NM last week. Dictionary definition of casita:
1. A small crude dwelling forming part of a shantytown inhabited by Mexican laborers in the southwestern US.
2. A luxurious bungalow serving as private guest accommodations at a resort hotel especially in the southwestern US or Mexico.

I was hoping for #2. I'm happy to report it was the perfect combination of the two - small (not crude) old historic building (among the locals) that had been upgraded and was quite comfortable.

The owner sent directions with several maps including an aerial view. I barely glanced at the directions and thought, I'll just put the address in google maps. Ha. They must have something against addresses in New Mexico because everything I tried to put in maps wouldn't come up. Even Bode's the local store. When I googled several addresses I got "close to" or "near 84" as an address. Huh.
Thankfully, I had another artist with me to help navigate through the small town of Abiquiu. The road was pretty rutted and if it was raining hard I'm sure I would have slid back down the hill.

Abiquiu does have a zip code -- so next time I head down, and I will -- I'm headed to 87510.

The Casita - 87510
pastel 5x7