ITS ALL ABOUT ART

Almost daily painter, traveler and art lover
It's all about art, what else is there?
@lisahutart on instagram

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Day 260 Needles Hike

I hiked last weekend through Lost Canyon in the Needles district of Canyonlands NP. It was a 9 mile loop hike, we opted for the Squaw Canyon trail on the way back.
See, I tried this hike with my friend Lori earlier in the year and I choked a mile in. I couldn't get up the nerve to traverse that slick rock. I had a panic attack. Voices were telling me I would certainly die if I tried to cross that section of rock. I then watched several hikers pass me and walk easily across. While chatting. But it was too late, I was frozen.
Fear is what keeps us alive. You need to have the right amount, don't cross a street when cars are coming ... but not so much that you never go near the street again, right?
Looking back, it was the right choice at the time. The hike had many spots with even worse exposure. Lori would have had to drag me or send back search and rescue.
This time, I was mentally prepared. I knew I needed to conquer this particular hike. My boots were working, no slipping or tripping. Also, once you go so far you kinda have no choice but to keep going to get back to the car. The car never looked so good.
It's been a year of immense personal growth for me - painting, conquering fears, striving for balance. Not falling on my ass in more ways than one. Being mentally prepared and trusting my own judgement.
This painting is a view of the Needles in the distance from our campground, just outside the park entrance. To you it's just a painting, but to me so much more.

Needles Hike
pastel 9x12


Scary exposure but stunning views make it worthwhile!