ITS ALL ABOUT ART

Almost daily painter, traveler and art lover
It's all about art, what else is there?
@lisahutart on instagram

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

PACE 2018 New Mexico Road Trip

I recently got back from the Plein Air Convention in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I drove down a few days early to paint in Taos; and stayed extra time at Ghost Ranch. Just about a thousand or so artists all convening in one spot. Yeah, it was great.

I watched demos and took a lot of notes. I learned a lot; and feel equally inspired ... and hopeless. After watching a Dave Santillanes demo, then a Kevin Macpherson one ... you know you are never going to be that good. Then I toured Albert Handell's studio. Again, there isn't enough time in my life to achieve the masterful level of art that these guys have accomplished.

I met painters from all over; new friends in Colorado, Texas and Iowa, which I'm excited about as I'm headed to Ames next week. I also chanced upon this guy painting at Ghost Ranch. I felt a connection with a kindred soul, loving the outdoors and the eternal quest to capture it on canvas. He is living my dream; painting on the road for the next 5 months. Check out Jeff Markowsky and his beautifully executed work here. He describes in his blog how I feel about painting outside; but just don't quite have the words for.

Also, on the drive down I was behind a guy on a motorcycle who was jamming out to music. Like full on dancing, arm waving, head bobbing, almost doing the Madonna Vogue thing. Not subtle. Granted, it could have been chemically induced, but all I could do was smile and enjoy that the guy was that happy and danced regardless of who was watching.

Last, I finally recovered a huge bag of art supplies that I accidentally left at my Air bnb and it's slowly on its way home through my artist network of friends. phew. I'm gonna go do a little dance where no one can see me, I'm not that brave yet.

Rio Grande River from the John Dunn Bridge

In downtown Santa Fe, the tree and window caught my eye

Ghost Ranch - the wind trying to rip away my easel