ITS ALL ABOUT ART

Almost daily painter, traveler and art lover
It's all about art, what else is there?
@lisahutart on instagram

Monday, September 3, 2018

30 in 30 Day 3: Bald Eagle

A few weeks ago we camped south of Bozeman, Montana at Hyalite Reservoir. It was a beautiful spot, camping was at a premium. I kayaked across the lake and watched 2 bald eagles fly back and forth and repeatedly swoop down low over the lake. It was so peaceful, there was a "no motorized vehicle" policy so there were only canoes, kayaks and paddle boarders drifting around. So quiet.

After watching them for a while - with my daughter on her paddle board, Ed took a turn in the kayak and I went to get my sketchbook and watercolors. I was sitting along the rocky shore in a camp chair, felt a tickle and looked down to see a huge fuzzy gray spider crawling up my leg. HUGE. I screamed, jumped up, sent the chair, the sketchbook, water, paint, etc. flying. In an attempt to respect nature, I moved away from the monstrously large spider by about 15 feet. I looked over after a few minutes and it was crawling towards me. Coincidence, I thought. I moved all my stuff another 15 feet in a different direction. It turned. Started towards me.
I am not exaggerating, I stood up and walked several feet again in a different direction. He turned. I turned ... and he started towards me again. It was like a horror movie ... or an offspring of Aragog. I tried to reason with myself that I was much bigger and should not be scared. But, ya know, it was a really big spider. Was.

OK, so back to the beautiful eagles. As I finished my sketch and the sun went down (all the while I'm scanning the rocks for spiders, right?) one eagle was hanging out at the top of a tree near me. There were 2 canoes at the end of the lake, also a group of ducks. The second the canoes paddled away the eagle took off, swooped low over the ducks, circled 5 times and picked one out for dinner. I was stunned. Nature.




Bald Eagles Fly
Pen & ink watercolor 9 x 6.5 and 1 pair wool mittens
sold


I am painting 30 paintings in 30 days for the month of September. I'm using my mittens to inspire my paintings and vice versa. I'll post the matched art & mittens on this blog, instagram and FB each day. I'm donating 50% of sales to the Alzheimer's Association. Please send an email to purchase.

@lishutart on instagram
"Let the beauty of what you love be what you do." Rumi