ITS ALL ABOUT ART

Almost daily painter, traveler and art lover
It's all about art, what else is there?
@lisahutart on instagram

Sunday, January 10, 2021

On Gouache & Rug Hooking

I discovered rug hooking about 10 years ago and fell in love with the lovely expensive wools used by traditional rug hookers. This is not latch hook (with acrylic yarn ... shudder) that you see at craft stores; I did do that back in elementary school, btw. I use as is wools, hand dyed and some up-cycled from the days when I obsessively shopped at thrift stores.

I've made rugs on and off over the years and have a nice pile of unfinished projects. I finished this one on New Year's Eve. It's hooked with 100% wool strips (in size 8.5 for you hookers) on linen foundation. I'm interested to see how it holds up in front of our fireplace. It's -2 degrees out right now and we use the fireplace ALL the time in the winter.

I love working with wool and plan to design more of my own patterns this year

Simply Leaves rug detail approx 3'x5'

6x9 gouache on watercolor paper
View from Crested Butte, CO

What does this have to do with Gouache? Gouache is a watercolor paint, but opaque rather than transparent. By painting in this style I can convert this to a pattern that can be hooked with these wool strips. Make sense now? This also makes me happy because I always want to try something new.

Thanks for taking the time to follow and read. XO ... except we can't really XO so remember it's the thought that counts. Lisa

@lisahutart on instagram

"Let the beauty of what you love be what you do." Rumi